Problem with Batch Create Folders from List of Names

Problem with Batch Create Folders from List of Names

Postby Rick » 08.26.10 12:09 am

I don't see in Automator any way to choose an input list.

It's very disappointing to purchase this and then discover that it does not seem able to do what it's supposedly capable of doing.

Can someone please help me understand how this script is supposed to work with an input list of intended names?

I specified an output folder, then clicked the "run" icon, but no prompt appears for selecting an input list.

After clicking run, a small dialogue box appears, titled with the name of the script, "Batch Create Folders from List of Names".

It provides two choices: "cancel" and "continue". Pressing either one simply ends the routine.

Any guidance or advice would be welcome! Thanks....
Rick

Re: Problem with Batch Create Folders from List of Names

Postby Automated Workflows, LLC » 08.29.10 11:31 am

The "Batch Create Folders from List of Names" action doesn't prompt you for a file of names. Rather, the names must be passed to the action as input. I've attached a screenshot of how this might work. This example workflow gets a specified text file. Next, it reads the file. Next, it separates the read text into individual paragraphs (i.e. folder names). Finally, these folder names are received by the batch creation action, which builds them.

Hope this helps.

-Ben
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 11.28.57 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 11.28.57 AM.png (312.42 KiB) Viewed 34415 times
Automated Workflows, LLC Support

AppleScript * Automator * Workflow Automation
Products, Training, Custom Development Services
http://www.automatedworkflows.com
Automated Workflows, LLC
Site Admin

Postby Rick » 09.02.10 5:49 pm

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful, though I've run into a runtime problem. I realized from your screen shot that I also needed the TextEdit module, which contains the "Read Text File" and "Get Paragraphs of Text".

I downloaded it and assembled all the required pieces in the same sequence that you show in the screen shot illustration. Then, using a text format file, I ran the routine once and it worked perfectly the first time.

But I cannot seem to run it again. I wanted to make changes to the input file, so I trashed the folders that had been created, modified the input file and re-ran the same set of routines but with a revised file name.

Automator successfully ran the first three pieces ("Get Specified Folder Items", "Read Text File" and "Get Paragraphs of Text"), but it stopped with the following error message:

" An unhandled error occurred while the action 'Batch Create Folders from List of Names" was processing " It then shows: "-7500002:-1728" and then "Can't get path of "/Users, etc."

I do not think the problem is that the path is too long, because it is exactly the same as when I ran the module successfully the first time. I glanced at the Automator log file, but it was not helpful, only saying that it stopped with the 'Batch Create.." piece.

Please advise as to what may be going wrong, what I might try, and whether additional information is needed to assess the problem. (I don't know where to find any other log files, if those would be helpful.) THANKS! I really am eager to make this work.
Rick

Postby Automated Workflows, LLC » 09.02.10 9:13 pm

It sounds like the batch create action is having trouble locating the output folder, in which you want the folders generated. Please try re-specifying that folder, and see if it resolves the problem. If not, please go ahead and email me a copy of your workflow, so I can test it on my end. You can send it to me at support at automatedworkflows dot com.

Thanks,

-Ben
Automated Workflows, LLC Support

AppleScript * Automator * Workflow Automation
Products, Training, Custom Development Services
http://www.automatedworkflows.com
Automated Workflows, LLC
Site Admin

Return to Folder Manager X